Well, we’re already halfway through January and are wondering how many of you have kept your New Year’s resolution? Here, at Physfit Gyms, the New Year has given us a chance to reflect on the past year and come up with a few of our own too. Our gym is certainly still looking busy and we’re working hard to help everyone achieve their long term fitness goals! However, know there’s always ways we can do better.
In our latest post, we’ve put together some of the benefits of having a sports massage post workout, especially for heavy lifters. You may not think it, but research has shown even a brief 10-15 minute sports therapy treatment post workout can do wonders for your muscles’ recovery in the long term.
So, have a read below and see what you think! As always, if you do have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us via our website or by calling 01509 815490.
Sports Massage Benefits
- Flexibility – Soft tissue treatment immediately after a heavy power lifting session can prevent muscles from feeling ‘tight’. In order to reach your weight lifting potential, you need to have maximum movement in your muscles. Since massage therapy stretches and eases the muscles they are prevented from tightening and flexibility is promoted and maintained.
- Circulation – A sports massage increases blood flow around the body. This has a tremendous impact on circulation in both the lymphatic and cardiovascular systems. It helps with the removal of waste as well as oxygen and energy supply in these systems. The result? Faster recovery and an earlier return to effective training.
- Pain Reduction – Pain relief occurs through increased blood flow as well as a decrease in stiffness. Therefore, as a by-product of the two previous benefits you can expect significant pain relief if you’ve suffered an injury.
- Decrease in Tension – A sports massage immediately post workout is statistically more effective at decreasing muscle tension and goes a long way in preventing DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness)
- Sleep Improvement – If your body is more relaxed it goes without saying that the quality and quantity of sleep you get will improve. A relaxed state of mind is hugely beneficial both in and out the gym so this benefit shouldn’t be overlooked.
A Sports Massage Has Huge Benefits!
In general, a sports massage has huge benefits for both body and mind. The extra benefits of increased flexibility and circulation, combined with a decrease in tension have great added benefits such as a better quality of sleep and pain reduction.
It can help you both inside and outside the gym so next time you’ve had a tough session treat yourself to a treatment in our therapy and sports massage room in Sileby. You’ll feel great, sleep better and be able to get back in the gym quicker to achieve those long term fitness goals!